[X-Newbies] Port Nos

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Sun Sep 19 08:43:06 PDT 2004

>I've just installed a new router and the syslog requires me to input a
>port number, possibly  for it to watch for attacks.

Attacks would happen on any and all ports.

I am believing that you are to input a port so that you can do remote administration.

> The default is 514, I guess for Windows users, but it says that the number should be greater than 1024 for MacOSX.

Higher than 1024 is somewhat open for individual use.

>Why, and has anyone any suggestions as to which port number I should use?

While this document is out of date, <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1700.txt>, it will give you an idea of what has been assigned or established in the past.

If I am correct in thinking that you are choosing a port for remote administration, the idea would be that you and only you would know the correct port so the selection can be somewhat arbitrary.
--

Robert Ameeti

Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?