[X-Newbies] Port Nos

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Sun Sep 19 08:55:21 PDT 2004

Port numbers below 1024 are "reserved" and are known as "well-known
ports."

 From Webopedia <http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/portnumbers.asp>:

In TCP/IP and UDP networks, a port is an endpoint to a logical
connection and the way a client program specifies a specific server
program on a computer in a network. Some ports have numbers that are
preassigned to them by the IANA, and these are known as well-known
ports (specified in RFC 1700). Port numbers range from 0 to 65536, but
only ports numbers 0 to 1024 are reserved for privileged services and
designated as well-known ports. This list of well-known port numbers
specifies the port used by the server process as its contact port.

So, I think your router is correctly requesting that you connect to it
using other than a well-known or reserved port for the service in
question. You might also want to check out the apple tech document that
lists ports used on OS X so the one you choose doesn't conflict with a
service that you use or may want to use.

Norm

Norman Cohen
nacohen at mac.com

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American
public."
H. L. Mencken