[X-Newbies] Extension Set for Classic

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Sat Sep 25 11:02:51 PDT 2004

I have turned off a bunch of control panels and extensions in OS 9.2.2 for
my Classic Quick Start extension set.

I am running a QuickSilver G4/733 on an ethernet LAN via switch and router
to a cable modem.  There are USB connections to an Epson Stylus Color 740
printer and a Canon CanoScan N1240U scanner.  The only games for OS 9 are
kids' games.  No heavy gaming here.  No DVD drive.  No Firewire devices.
The video card is the standard NVIDIA GeForce2 MX.  I will be using OS X
Panther for internet web and e-mail.

Comments & Questions:

OK to turn OFF all ATI extensions and libraries, true?

Should I turn OFF Classic RAVE library?  What about QuickDraw 3D RAVE?
OpenGL libraries?

Do I need to keep the NVIDIA extensions and libraries ON?  Or are these
items only for heavy duty use with faster video cards and for action games?

Finally, what about the Communications ToolBox items:  Apple Modem Tool,
Claris Kermit Tool, Serial Tool, Text Tool, VT102 Tool, and XMODEM Tool?
The Item Information about each of these is:  "Part of the Communications
Toolbox.  Needed if you are using a standard modem and other communications
functions."  Would using ethernet and USB devices need these tools?

Many thanks for all your help in the past and now.

--
Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,