[X-Newbies] MS Word connects to internet

Steve St-Laurent st-laur at telus.net
Tue Apr 5 09:27:37 PDT 2005

Jane <TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net> wrote wrote:

> How can I stop Word from connecting to the internet and sending data
> back while I am using it? I have scoured the prefs to no avail and the
> only solution would be to disconnect the computer from the network
> while using Word.
>
> I know it is connecting because when I quit it says "connecting to the
> printer" and  the IE Cache.waf file appears on the desktop.
>
> Apparently my saved document info goes back to big brother at
> Microsoft.

Typical Billware behavior. Simply put, these folks have no concept of
appropriate levels of ownership [ref. Fritz Schumacher]. They want it
all.

Remember back in OS 9? In your Preferences folder there was a file
called PPC Preferences, which most people understood to mean some kind
of preference related to your operating system. Nope, it was an
inventory of every bit and byte of Billware on your computer. They
lacked even the courage to call it what it is -- MS Product Registry or
something similar. What a gutless, greedy bunch.

I am SO glad these cretins don't also control my operating system!