[X-Newbies] System crash OS 10.3.8, Firewire and USB drives on brand new G5.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 06:40:22 PDT 2005

I just had my first system crash. I had just ejected my Firewire drive
and put in my USB stick. The stick refused to show up on the desktop,
so I pulled it out and then put it back in a couple of times, but
nothing. The system started slowing and then I get a prompt to press
the power button on my keyboard to restart (I am using an MS Natural
Pro which doesn't have one) or to press the reset button (all I can
find on my box is a power button), so I pressed that and restarted.
Everything seems fine now. The only thing I can find in Console is:

"2005-04-06 20:03:27.724 loginwindow[193] FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags
returned err = -43"

and in the system log:

"Apr  6 20:03:41 localhost ntpd[347]: sendto(17.82.254.11): Bad file descriptor
Apr  6 20:04:00 localhost DiskMountedNotifier[342]: launch for id = 0
NvXS event = Mscn result = 1005"

Any ideas? I usually take pride in not mistreating my system, but I
have to admit there is a lot to learn when last having used a Mac
under OS 9.

Cheers,

Brian