[X-Newbies] Polyglot easy spell checking in non-default languages in Mail, Safari, TextEdit, etc.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 21:39:40 PDT 2005

I am looking for an easy way to spell check non-default languages in
Mail and Safari. I use both Mail and Safari for e-mail and often write
notes or phrases in TextEdit, Stickies, etc. all of which I use in a
number of languages: English (of course), Danish, Bahasa Indonesian,
Russian, etc. I have installed CocoAspell
http://cocoaspell.leuski.net/ which works well, but is rather clunky
as you first have to go to the Edit menu, then to Spelling and again
to Spelling and then choose the correct dictionary from the list.
Also, CocoAspell doesn't have a Bahasa Indonesia dictionary. I know
there are other apps out there like Excalibur (which I am unsure if it
still is being developed)
http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~excalibr/excalibur.html , but I believe
one has to go through a similar process. Isn't there a way to more
easily/elegantly switch between the dictionaries in various languages
that Apple provides, for people who are at least partial polyglots
like myself? I could imagine that a series of Apple Scripts combined
with a keyboard command might do the trick, but I have no experience
with Apple Script myself.

Any ideas from anyone?

Cheers,

Brian