[X-Newbies] Re: Can't play DVDees.

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Apr 23 00:38:48 PDT 2005

> From: Brian Durant <globetrotterdk at gmail.com>
>
> I have been trying to play DVDs, but no luck so far. The Apple DVD
> player is out of the question as I have purchased legitimate DVDs in a
> number of countries that I have lived, which means that I of course
> have DVDs from different regions and the Apple DVD player is hobbled
> so that I can only do this 5 times before it selects a region for me
> based on which DVDs I play.

I have not used them myself, but I'm confident there are myriad
software programs out there that can nullify that for you.

>  Windows Media Player can't find anything
> to play for some reason.

<snort>

> VLC seems to have some sort of sound
> issue on my machine, i.e. very loud, static and can't really make out
> the actual sound track I am using a G5 1.8 GHz. single with OS X
> 10.3.9 installed.

I use VLC for this purpose and have no problems. I don't think the
culprit is VLC per se.

>  Altec Lansing speakers plugged into the mini jack
> socket. VLC 0.8.1. and North by Northwest on DVD. Any ideas?

Buy a cheap DVD player? :)

Main suggestion is that you a) find one of those "reset region"
programs and b) get to the root of the real issue with VLC. I strongly
suspect that the sound preferences in VLC are set wrong for your
speakers.

_Chas_

FL-MUG: central Florida's Macintosh User Group.
Meetings: second Thursday of the month, 6-9pm,
at the Orlando Science Center.
http://www.flmug.org