[X-Newbies] Re: USB2.0 to Ultra SCSI Converter

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Apr 23 00:34:36 PDT 2005

> From: CarWesG at aol.com
>
> Response to Chas:
>
> Thanks for your answer.   My experience with Zip and Jaz seems to be
> different from yours.   I had one Zip drive that died in about 9 years
> and only a few
> zip disks.

I actually said -- go back and read it for yourself -- "they may last
FOR YEARS, but when they die they take the cartridge in them with em."

>    I don't use them for back-up anyway, just to transfer media for
> clients or printers.

You have clients or printers that don't use CDs? Are they Amish or
something?? :)

> The SCSI to USB2 is around $70.

And a refurb'd USB Zip is around ... $50 (http://www.megamacs.com). And
a CD burner is ... well, free, because you most likely already have
one. Hard to beat, as I said last time.

>   I thought that was cheap to be able to keep
> what's working pretty well so far.

Doesn't beat FREE. You're also ignoring the fact that Iomega advises
AGAINST using such a cable with their products ...

> Still feel the same that I should not
> bother with this old technology??

More than ever. I've never had the "click of death" from a CD or CD-RW,
and if the client loses the copy I make them, it's pennies to replace.

Of course, it's your money, do whatever you like. But I think there's a
REASON people have gone with CD-R/RW and DVD-R/RWs, while Iomega
struggles to stay out of bankruptcy -- don't you?

_Chas_

"If you want to encourage your kids to color outside the lines, think
creatively and zig when the other kids zag, get the Mac. On the other
hand, if you want to teach your kid that life is full of frustration
and that anything worth getting takes plenty of patience and hard work,
a Windows machine should do quite nicely."
-- D. Plotnikoff