[X-Newbies] Re: iMac - audio input

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Apr 26 23:28:03 PDT 2005

On 25-Apr-2005, at 3:07 AM, x-newbies-
request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

> From: Alex <lists at lexial.ca>
> Subject: Re: [X-Newbies] Re: iMac - audio input
>
>> 3. Connect RCA plugs from turntable to iMic. No pre-amp needed.
>>

> Nonsense:
>
> "NOTE: Turntables require pre-amplification and a special equalization
> curve (called the RIAA curve). You need the receiver/amp that you
> would
> ordinarily use with your turntable, since you can’t connect it
> directly
> to the iMic."

I acknowledge that it does indeed say that, but it is emphatically
NOT TRUE. I record vinyl LPs directly to the iMic ALL THE TIME, and I
assure you that it does indeed work WITHOUT a pre-amp. Indeed, this
was *specifically* why I bought it -- because it has the RIAA curve
and pre-amp BUILT IN.

Indeed, the product *actually comes with* the RCA to 1/8" converter
plug (pictured in the document you quoted) specifically so you CAN
connect a turntable directly to the iMic. I suspect that the
documentation is simply out of date and reflects an earlier version
of the product.

Please see this report:
http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/03/05/final/index.php

Which proves that the software and packaging changed with version 1.1
of the product, allowing direct turntable to iMic connections. All
versions of iMic sold within the last year have this ability.

Further support for my contention:
http://www.macmusic.org/articles/view.php/lang/EN/id/88/?
vRmtQjpAznOhMaS=1
http://www.turntablelab.com/apple/apple1.html (scroll down to iMic)

_Chas_

FL-MUG: central Florida's Macintosh User Group.
Meetings: second Thursday of the month, 6-9pm,
at the Orlando Science Center.
http://www.flmug.org