[X-Newbies] Re: Mac - audio input

Michele Forrester macuzr at insightbb.com
Fri Apr 29 06:42:52 PDT 2005

On 4/29/05 Charles Martin wrote:
>>From: Michele Forrester <macuzr at insightbb.com>
>>Subject: [X-Newbies] Re: iMac - audio input
>>

>>An off the wall question...will this also allow you to use cassette
>>tapes from that same turntable system?
>
>No. Turntables are turntables and do not handle cassettes tapes or
>anything other than records.
>
>If you meant to ask "can you use the *iMic* to convert cassette
>tapes to digital files" then the answer is YES. The iMic has two
>settings: mic level (used for microphones and turntables w/o
>pre-amp) and "line" level (used for amplified sources like cassette
>decks).

Yes, that is what I meant! LOL!

>>With all this information I think I can DO this myself!
>
>You CAN do this yourself. We believe in you! :)
>
>>Are there any
>>tips/ideas for the beginner record to CD maker?
>
>Here's the step-by-step.
>
>You'll need the following:
>1. A turntable or cassette deck (and records or tapes, obviously)
>2. An iMic
>3. The Final Vinyl software supplied with the iMic (Toast's "Spin
>Doctor" software can also do this)
>4. A fair amount of hard drive space (a couple of gigs)
>5. iTunes and a CD burning device
>
>Okay, plug the iMic into the computer, and the turntable or tape
>deck to the iMic. Use the "mic" level for turntables, use the "line"
>level for tapes.

Thank you for the great tutorial...it will be easy to
follow...but...BUT...I just checked my stereo and it has no audio
out...only an audio in that I hooked the TV into to get stereo sound
from  the TV...NOW WHAT? (Besides buying a different stereo system?)
:o/ I do have a headphone plug but I don't believe it will work from
what I have read...may have to borrow something along the way to do
this.

I do intend to do about 40 records and a BUNCH of cassettes that I
have taped off many moons ago...so it will be a long project but well
worth the time/effort (If I can get it to work!).

Thanks again!

Michele