[X-Newbies] Windows Media Player config

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 30 10:45:40 PDT 2005

I'm setting up an G4 from scratch with Tiger installed, going through
all the little config details, and I'm having a weird problem with
WMP and/or Safari. It seems like Safari is storing intermediate info
in a place that WMP doesn't have permission to access.

For example, go here, click on 10,000 maniacs, pick "Candy Everybody
Wants" and use WMP for the player. On my other Mac (a G5 running
Tiger from the factory) it plays fine in the embedded player. On the
one I'm configuring, WMP launches and then puts up the message
"permission denied".

http://www.rhino.com/retrovid/index.lasso

On another site that is much simpler, I get a similar error "The file
name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect" - and I
get that on *both* machines - so what's up with that?  This is just a
page with a link to a WMV file. When I download the file and double-
click it, plays fine.

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/others/aud_vid.html

Is there something I'm missing here about the configuration of WMP
and Safari?

Thoughts?
Steve