[X-Newbies] Windows Media Player config

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue Aug 30 14:04:56 PDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 12:45:40PM CDT, Steven Rogers <srogers1 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
:
: I'm setting up an G4 from scratch with Tiger installed, going through
: all the little config details, and I'm having a weird problem with
: WMP and/or Safari. It seems like Safari is storing intermediate info
: in a place that WMP doesn't have permission to access.
:
: For example, go here, click on 10,000 maniacs, pick "Candy Everybody
: Wants" and use WMP for the player. On my other Mac (a G5 running
: Tiger from the factory) it plays fine in the embedded player. On the
: one I'm configuring, WMP launches and then puts up the message
: "permission denied".
:
: http://www.rhino.com/retrovid/index.lasso
:
: On another site that is much simpler, I get a similar error "The file
: name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect" - and I
: get that on *both* machines - so what's up with that?  This is just a
: page with a link to a WMV file. When I download the file and double-
: click it, plays fine.
:
: http://www.v2rocket.com/start/others/aud_vid.html
:
: Is there something I'm missing here about the configuration of WMP
: and Safari?

Just out of the blue, do you have any volumes or directories
whose names have non-Roman characters in them (e.g. Chinese
or Japanese text)?

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/