[X-Newbies] a query on permissions+

Cornett cornett at gol.com
Tue Aug 30 17:05:27 PDT 2005

Listas All
G'day!

I am hoping for your help for this OSX noob here.
Am running X.3.9 on a Rev.D fruity iMac 333Mhz/384Mb RAM,
and am afraid that I've gone and messed up permissions somehow.

I've always ran DU's permissions repair from the booted HD, as
advice has said, but somehow I've got some Apps that refuse to
boot, and some that refuse to be updated by me, I've been DLing
the files to another trusty DSL connected PowerMac, burning
them to CD-R and copying them to the iMac's Ext. USB connected
HD, and attempting to unstuff/install and update from there,
but of late I'm having lil' problems(ie: Stuffit Expander v9.01
refuses to update using the new 9,02 updater even though the
installer says that installation was successful, and IE v5.2.3
will instantly quit when I click the; "do I wanna make IE my
default browser" either No or Yes buttons, etc.) aplenty, even
from a new test account.
fyi- this iMac has never been connected to my LAN router nor
the Net, but it has OS9.2.2 installed on a separate partition
and is legacy bootable, but any attempt to start Classic will
not work with only the spinning wheel that never progresses
anywhere... endlessly 'til it is stopped.

I've run Delocalizer and free'd up 'bout 900Mb of much need'd
HD space, and now some Apps. won't install 'cause they can't
find some certain(ie: chinese) language file, and in FontBook
it seems that there are still many foreign fonts installed, but
whenever I try to disable it FontBook or the Finder will crash
instantly on me.

If'n I've indeed messed up the permissions, would it be a good
move to c-key boot from the install disk, repair permissions
from there, reboot to HD and immediately run the permissions
repair again in hopes of fixing anything I've inadvertently and
sadly messed up??

Is there a uRL link available and handy for a list of whatever/all
the OSX System needs to have it's permissions set to for use??

Also, it is believed that there may be a funked up font, either in
X or 9, can I legacy boot or install disk boot, to try a doubleclick
open of each installed font folder in hopes of finding any bad
one/s??

Do Please advise, and any/all help, suggestions, advice will be
much welcomed and very appreciated. TIA

Respectful of GURUs
Bill Cornett
cornettATgolDOTcom