[X-Newbies] a query on permissions+

John McGibney ncicchek at optonline.net
Tue Aug 30 17:33:57 PDT 2005

On Aug 30, 2005, at 8:05 PM, Cornett wrote:

> Listas All
> G'day!
>
> I am hoping for your help for this OSX noob here.
> Am running X.3.9 on a Rev.D fruity iMac 333Mhz/384Mb RAM,
> and am afraid that I've gone and messed up permissions somehow.
>
> I've always ran DU's permissions repair from the booted HD, as
> advice has said, but somehow I've got some Apps that refuse to
> boot, and some that refuse to be updated by me, I've been DLing
> the files to another trusty DSL connected PowerMac, burning
> them to CD-R and copying them to the iMac's Ext. USB connected
> HD, and attempting to unstuff/install and update from there,
> but of late I'm having lil' problems(ie: Stuffit Expander v9.01
> refuses to update using the new 9,02 updater even though the
> installer says that installation was successful, and IE v5.2.3
> will instantly quit when I click the; "do I wanna make IE my
> default browser" either No or Yes buttons, etc.) aplenty, even
> from a new test account.
> fyi- this iMac has never been connected to my LAN router nor
> the Net, but it has OS9.2.2 installed on a separate partition
> and is legacy bootable, but any attempt to start Classic will
> not work with only the spinning wheel that never progresses
> anywhere... endlessly 'til it is stopped.
>
> I've run Delocalizer and free'd up 'bout 900Mb of much need'd
> HD space, and now some Apps. won't install 'cause they can't
> find some certain(ie: chinese) language file, and in FontBook
> it seems that there are still many foreign fonts installed, but
> whenever I try to disable it FontBook or the Finder will crash
> instantly on me.
>
> If'n I've indeed messed up the permissions, would it be a good
> move to c-key boot from the install disk, repair permissions
> from there, reboot to HD and immediately run the permissions
> repair again in hopes of fixing anything I've inadvertently and
> sadly messed up??
>
> Is there a uRL link available and handy for a list of whatever/all
> the OSX System needs to have it's permissions set to for use??
>
> Also, it is believed that there may be a funked up font, either in
> X or 9, can I legacy boot or install disk boot, to try a doubleclick
> open of each installed font folder in hopes of finding any bad
> one/s??
>
> Do Please advise, and any/all help, suggestions, advice will be
> much welcomed and very appreciated. TIA
>
> Respectful of GURUs
> Bill Cornett
> cornettATgolDOTcom
> "Rust never sleeps."-N. Young

The StuffIt updater doesn't update the application, it stays at 9.1
It updates other files that StuffIt uses to do its thing.

IE may have a corrupt file or may need a reinstall.

Boot from the Install CD and run disk repair, it sounds like
something on the drive is messed up, not just permissions.
If that doesn't work download and run the 10.3.9 combo updater.
Sometimes the sequential updaters miss an important file. The combo
updaters have everything that needs to be updated.

John
--
Save the turtles - Don't wax your car.