[X-Newbies] SSH and config file

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Sun Dec 4 08:04:19 PST 2005

Try this:

Open a new Finder window.
Choose the Go:Go to Folder menu item (or cmd-shift-g).
Type "/etc" without the quotation marks.

You will now be in the /etc directory and sshd_config can be found in
that directory. Drag the file to your text editor of choice. Since
this is an important file, you will probably want to make a copy
first to serve as a backup. Also, editing will require
authentication, since this is a file owned by root.

Alternatively, if you have TextWrangler (a terrific program by the
way), you can choose the File:Open Hidden option to get into your
unix directories like etc, usr, var.

Lastly, Spotlight, by default, doesn't search in the unix core
directories. There are ways you can change that if you choose, but
the greatly increased number of files that need to be indexed does
slow Spotlight down a bit. For searching for those files, I tend to
use the locate or find command in the Terminal.

Norm
---
Norman A. Cohen
nacohen at mac.com

"I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex."
Oscar Wilde