[X-Newbies] xls files

Kelly Harding kelly.harding at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 14 06:58:54 PST 2005

Keith MILLS wrote:
> Sorry if my question may yet again  seem naive, but I should be grateful
> for advice.
>
> I have received two different xls files. According to "The Missing
> Manual" I should be able to drag them into Stuffit Expander and open
> them. All I get is - could not be converted to Appleworks file. Have I
> misunderstood? And is there anything I can do?

As has been said, OpenOffice or NeoOffice/J will open these files.

OpenOffice has just hit version 2.0 which should offer better support
for excel formats and so on.

Not sure when NeoOffice/J will use the same base code, it is currently
based on OpenOffice 1.1.

NeoOffice/J is far easier to use/set up, and looks nicer, OpenOffice on
Mac OS X needs Apple's X11 server
package installed, whereas NeoOffice/J uses a mix of Carbon and Java for
the UI.

Both are a bit memory/cpu intensive I find though.

Kelly