[X-Newbies] .xls

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 16 07:34:48 PST 2005

On Dec 16, 2005, at 6:18 AM, Vincent Cayenne wrote:

> At 2:20 AM -0500 12/16/05, Charles Martin wrote:
>> 95% or better of all the Word and Excel documents people receive
>> were created by people who are just barely functional with the
>> most basic featureset of those programs. In my experience, greater
>> than 95% of the word documents I receive could have been sent as
>> plain text with no change of appearance. The same goes for Excel
>> Worksheets -- apart from the occasional bit of formatting (like
>> bold, italic or some fancy font they have that I don't), nothing
>> changes in 95%+ of the worksheets I get -- and I've opened many of
>> them in Excel proper just to be sure of this. This is but one of
>> the many reasons to hate Microsoft.
>
> I can think of so much to dislike about Microsoft but can't quite
> follow the reasoning you use above. Perhaps there are some unstated
> elements in the logic? It seems as though you're saying one should
> hate Microsoft because people are "just barely functional with the
> most basic featureset" of Word and Excel. By that reasoning, one
> would vilify any and every maker of an email client...

When people send you plain text in word, send them back a reply in
Adobe Illustrator or InDesign. If they complain, say all your friends
have it, and use it constantly for email communications because its
so convenient - and it runs great on the Mac and PC.

But I don't see what that has to do with hating Word or Excel. If
someone sent you a plain text message in Maya, would you hate that
program too? I'm having to strongly resist the urge to make political
analogies . .

SR