[X-Newbies] .xls

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Fri Dec 16 09:36:06 PST 2005

At 9:34 AM -0600 12/16/05, Steven Rogers wrote:
>When people send you plain text in word, send them back a reply in
>Adobe Illustrator or InDesign. If they complain, say all your
>friends have it, and use it constantly for email communications
>because its so convenient - and it runs great on the Mac and PC.
>
>But I don't see what that has to do with hating Word or Excel. If
>someone sent you a plain text message in Maya, would you hate that
>program too? I'm having to strongly resist the urge to make
>political analogies . .

Steven are you replying to *my* post? Because I've made none of the
claims that you seem to be refuting. I don't see where your analogy
tracks mine at all. I haven't advocated the use of any particular
product at all and simply noted that I do not understand Charles' use
of the statement "95% or better of all the Word and Excel documents
people receive were created by people who are just barely functional
with the most basic featureset of those programs. In my experience,
greater than 95% of the word documents I receive could have been sent
as plain text with no change of appearance" as a reason for hating
Microsoft. Since in that example, Microsoft Word CAN be use to save
plain text, it seems that it once more underscores the fact that the
users are "barely functional". Surely you're not saying that the mere
existence of a larger-than-barebones feature set is a negative? As
far as I'm aware, Open Office and the other products mentioned in
this regard all save in a rich text format and so would have the same
"limitation" and hence be subject to the same reason for hating their
parent companies.

I really don't "get" how it's relevant to postulate the use of a
product completely outside of a particular purpose as an example -
why would one conceive of responding to a text message with the
output of an illustrator's tools? Is it somehow heinous to respond to
a letter with one generated by Word? Word is a word processor, best
tasked with producing printed material. Word document exchange is
best where production of printed correspondence and the like remains
the ultimate objective. Text editors, word processing applications,
publishing programs, and email clients all have common ground but do
not readily address each others' usage goals. There is no reason for
Word to be the best text editor, the best HTML editor or the like.
And it surely doesn't even come close. It's a very good word
processor and is a failure at almost anything else for which
Microsoft's marketing drones make claims. And it's overkill for most
of its users, who have little choice but to use it. But the reason
for that limitation in choice is not Word's richness of features.
Perhaps if Microsoft would just ship an already-skinned Word,
presenting only the typical needs by category of user or task set --
basic office user; high school student; legal; friendly
correspondence -- then maybe you'll see Word used without the users
being just "barely functional".

I've no political analogies to offer either, sorry...
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]