[X-Newbies] Mail defaults

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Sun Dec 18 22:31:31 PST 2005

On Dec 18, 2005, at 12:25 PM, Philip J Robar wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2005, at 12:00 AM, Tony Johansen wrote:
>
>> On 18/12/2005 6:43 PM, "Scott" <scott-xlists at scotist.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Scott, no wonder I couldn't find it. Mail has given me
>> so many
>> problems. It seems to be unable to effectively deal with large
>> numbers of
>> emails etc. I lose sight of listed emails as they seem to overlap
>> each other
>> frequently ...
>
> I have folders with thousands of messages, one with over 10,000,
> never had a problem. I run my own IMAP server so all of my messages
> live on that server and Mail is only a cache, not my permanent store.

I'm at 37643 in just the Mail.app folder that holds messages from
this list. 41953, in the Macintosh-List box.

Note -there is a bug in regards to how large a mailbox Mail can
handle. I'd expect to run into problems if I hit 2GB in a single
mailbox. This is a limit published by Apple for 10.4 - 10.3 was
limited to 1GB. These limits aren't likely to hit except in mailboxes
which contain many attachments.

--
Scott Buntin