[X-Newbies] Re: How to Use Mail & Address Book (was: No Subject)

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Dec 25 21:22:14 PST 2005

> From: david_elmo <david_elmo at optusnet.com.au>
>
> I want to add an address to the address book in Mail without waiting
> for the addressed person to email me (then I know how to do it!).

Open Address Book (the application in your applications folder),
create a new "card" (by clicking on the + key) and enter the data.
Address Book (the application) also functions as Mail's address book.

> I go to the help files.  It says:
>
> "You can add addresses to Address Book when you send and receive
> mail, and when you view your messages and Previous Recipients list."
>
> Ah, "when I send"? Well, when is "when I send"? Is it when I am about
> to send, or when I have just sent or the very moment I send it? I
> have before me a new composed message and I have addressed it
> lovingly by hand. I want to add it to the **ing address book. What do
> I do?

One of several things, as explained by the help file. You could:
1. Highlight the address and right-click (control-click) to add it to
your Address Book.
2. Click on the arrow in the Smart Address bubble, which presents a
pop-up menu (if you're entering an email address FOR THE FIRST TIME,
you won't get a Smart Address bubble).
3. Click on the "Add to Address Book" button you added to the menu
bar (customise menu).

> Excuse me? What is a "a Smart Address" when it is at home?

Maybe it's just that you come from a Windows environment, but I
assure you there's no need to believe that your computer is out to
humiliate you. Everything a Mac does (and says about itself) is there
for good reason. If you don't know what a Smart Address is (and can't
seem to work it out from the name itself), then open the Help file
and type in "Smart Address" and see what it says. You might also want
to read the page about Tiger's redesigned Mail at Apple's own web site:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/mail

> Honestly, the Mail design and the help files look like a diabolical
> joke. Surely these programs should cater for people who are just
> below average in intelligence?

Must ... resist ... urge to flame ... such a great ... opening ....

Ahem. The concept of "smart addresses" and many of Mail's other nifty
features is detailed in an overview called "What's New in Mail" which
can be accessed by calling up the help menu and not ignoring the main
splash page. Why not give that a read-over and see if that doesn't
help clear things up.

Cheers
Chas