[X-Newbies] Reasons for names? (was: How to Use Mail & Address Book (was: No Subject))

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Mon Dec 26 01:53:22 PST 2005

X;{ :-)

A touch of flu just in time to spoil my Christmas dinner, so I'm
needlessly Scrooging here:

At 12:22 AM -0500 12/26/05, Charles Martin wrote:
>Everything a Mac does (and says about itself) is there for good reason.

...except for Apple's raving insanity in naming applications: which
geniuses signed off on the generic "Mail", "Address Book", and
"Pages"? These twits obviously were shuttered in a developer's
paradise with nice little code names and a *need* to ensure that
there were no leaks about the precious projects? 'Cause out in the
real world, trying to use resources like Google to isolate anything
involving those apps, trying to hold a conversation with someone
unfamiliar with the current Mac, trying to explain a
multi-application** technique - these all suffer from those names.

Several applications have *an* address book, which must be noted as
distinct from *the* Address Book app. A conversation about a problem
goes blooey at the "OK, now open Mail" point when the user launches
their browser and goes to the web mail (or opens mail, in another
client).

I think when the "i" prefix started being made fun of, Steve decided
"OK, we'll just leave it off and see how you like it!".

Ah well, I don't suppose I'd have been impressed by the names iMail
and iPages anyway. And iBook was already taken. :-)

** example "multi-application" technique: emailing a bunch of holiday
photos to a family member. A friend called me up earlier, while
already on a call to their family computer wiz (all-PC) who was
trying to instruct her in sending her batch of photos. Frustrated by
discussion of "compression, zip, properties", she called for more
help. I said "Forget all the tech stuff, make an album with the
photos, use the Share menu and email it. She did so, chose
medium-size, got an OK on the file size from the wiz, was momentarily
disconcerted by the delay as iPhoto did its thing before handing off
to Mail.app, and was then OK and done. But the PC wiz, a good guy who
knows exactly what he's about, couldn't quite get any handle on what
I'd told her to do. Statements like "OK, now just wait for Mail to
open with the message just needing addressing." or "If the address is
already in your Address Book..." carry no audio clues about the
application being used.

If you don't know, you're waiting for the rest of the info - Outlook?
Eudora? Web client? An Apple-specific app? What're you using? Yes,
yes, I know it's mail, but what is the *name* of the program?

Those who've been helping end users for any length of time are
accustomed to the users' tendency to impart generic terms. It's not
Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox, it's "my Internet". It's not
Outlook Express, it's "my email". When these helpers hear Mac users
say "Mail" and "Address Book", they're already leaping into
clarification mode.
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]