[X-Newbies] Re: Reasons for names? (was: How to Use Mail & Address Book (was: No Subject))

J themacintoshlady at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 26 15:05:06 PST 2005

Please....let's not underestimate the 'dimness' of certain users.

After 9 years of trying to help and teach, I still get people who,
when I ask them to tell me what browser they are using, will say,
"what's a browser"? Or they will tell me they don't know how to copy
and paste.....<sigh>

It's worse when I ask them what mail program they are using. They can
only say Comcast, AOL or Earthlink, and have no idea that there is a
program (usually) dedicated to the function we are trying to
troubleshoot. This is not surprising since Comcast has people using
webmail and even went so far as to tell my Dad that he was 'using the
wrong thing to view his mail' when he told them he used Mail.app.
(Man, don't ask me how long I ranted about that one -- turned out of
course that Comcast was having fits on their server and the
'unsupported' Mail.app which worked for years before, still worked
after they fixed things on THEIR end. But they had poor Dad convinced.)

This, as I said, after 9 years of teaching. With some, the
information doesn't always 'stick', even though I teach that after
the 'system', there are applications...and within those applications
are specific documents which can only be opened by their parent
application, and in some cases, other applications, such as with
plain text files.