[X-Newbies] Re: X-Newbies Digest, Vol 16, Issue 18

david_elmo david_elmo at optusnet.com.au
Mon Dec 26 15:01:52 PST 2005

On 27/12/2005, at 2:11 AM, x-newbies-
request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

>> I want to add an address to the address book in Mail without
>> waiting for the addressed person to email me (then I know how to do
>> it!).
>>
>> I go to the help files.  It says:
>>
>> "You can add addresses to Address Book when you send and receive
>> mail, and when you view your messages and Previous Recipients
>> list."   ... "Smart Address" ...
>
> Smart addresses refer to the menu you can select from an address in
> the various mail header fields. A smart address is indicated by the
> address being hi-lited in blue as a menu or being turned into a blue
> menu when you mouse over it. One of the options in the menu is to add
> the address to your address book.
>
> When you're composing a message to an address which Mail has never
> seen before the smart aspect isn't there. I think the help is just
> wrong about this.

Yes, thanks Phil. I see.

Leaving it still a bit of a mystery of how to actually add a new
address to the address book that no one but the user has in his or
her head... I did it in the end but it was not obvious and I can
scarcely now remember what I did. It is easier to just wait till
someone emails me... It ought not to be so complicated. In a way, it
is no use old hands thinking it is easy and logical. The test of
sensibleness is what would happen if 100 folk, new to Mail, were
asked to add an address to the address book, quick.

David Elmo