[X-Newbies] Re: Reasons for names?

david_elmo david_elmo at optusnet.com.au
Mon Dec 26 17:46:18 PST 2005

> From: Charles Martin <chasm at mac.com>
> Subject: [X-Newbies] Re: Reasons for names?
>
>> From: Vincent Cayenne <vcayenne at mac.com>
>

>> Several applications have *an* address book, which must be noted as
>> distinct from *the* Address Book app.
>
> Yes, that does sometimes cause confusion, particularly for people
> transferring from Outlook/Entourage. But it really *is* quite silly
> for every internet-related app to have it's *own* address book, don't
> you think?

Well, I guess it is silly? Is it silly? I have only one need for
addresses and that is for email. And if I wanted to put addresses for
any other purpose (to remind me what to copy when handwriting
envelopes) I used to stick them in the address book in OE (Mac) if I
could not be bothered to put it in my Teledex. I knew where to go.
But apparently there are zillions of other non-email related reasons?
I really need to need more and lead a more complex life where
addresses are needed for all kinds of other things... so that I can
truly get the benefit of a "simplification" that only appears
absurdly complicated...

:)

> The whole idea behind Apple's implementation is "enter the
> information ONE TIME and it applies to every (Apple) web app." It's a
> good idea, if not quite perfected yet.

Good ideas are ten a penny and mean nothing whatsoever. Nothing!

>> ** example "multi-application" technique: emailing a bunch of holiday
>> photos to a family member.
>
> This is actually an example of why I *love* Apple's implementation.
> Since Address Book allows me to "group" selected addresses together,
> all I have to do to send a photo (or photos) to a group of people is
> open a new email, drag the picture(s) in and type "Family" in the TO
> field. Done.

Been doing this for years in good old OE (mac). Called sending to a
group. The essential  is not anything Apple at all.

> Cheers
> Chas

David Elmo