[X-Newbies] (no subject)

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Tue Dec 27 13:57:14 PST 2005

On Dec 26, 2005, at 13:28:17 +1100,
david_elmo <david_elmo at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Safari is hard to believe! I had a whole lot of tabs open and by
> mistake clicked the close button. In iCab it asks you if you really
> want to close all the tabs.... A sensible thoughtful thing.

Despite all the problems you've been having lately, I think you'll
soon realize that OS X has a logical and consistent theme under-
lying most of the interface. But I won't push this point.

One interface issue that often confuses newbies, especially con-
verts, is the red close button at the top of each window. In Win-
dows, closing the last open window for an app will quit that app.

Not so on the Mac (with a few exceptions). The program remains
open and active as a stub without any open windows. You clicked
the red button. That closed that window including all open tabs, but
Safari was still there.

To close a tab, click on the x in the tab.
To quit Safari, use quit in the File menu.
Try to avoid the red button.

If you closed all tabs in error - no prob. Create a new window from
the File menu. Then go to the History menu and navigate to where
you were. Re-creating the tabs will be a PITA, but you haven't lost
any URLs.

Jon