[X-Newbies] Re: Installing X on a small hard drive

Dominic F. Manno dfmanno at alumni.upenn.edu
Tue Dec 27 15:35:00 PST 2005

Norman Cohen <nacohen at mac.com> wrote:

>It'll likely require more room, particularly if your machine doesn't
>have a lot of RAM. X makes "swap files" as part of its virtual memory
>scheme that can easily take up a gig or more of hard drive space.
>There are hacks to reassign the swap files to other drives or
>partitions, but these hacks may create other issues if you don't know
>too much about how X works under the hood.

OK, thanks.

I'll have 384MB RAM when I install Jaguar. Does that sound like
enough, or should I look for more? (I know you can't have too much
memory, but I don't have too much money.)
--
D.F. Manno
dfmanno at alumni.upenn.edu
Tonight this fool's halfway to heaven and just a mile outta hell
And I feel like I'm coming home.
These are better days." -- Bruce Springsteen