[X-Newbies] slow warm ups

Daniel Read danielread at hillcode.com.au
Tue Feb 1 12:35:55 PST 2005

I'm experiencing a similar problem only it's just a three minute load
time. Perviously my desktop background would load and the finder bar
and dock would pop in straight away. Now the desktop background loads
and then the pizza wheel spins until finally the finder bar loads in
one item at a time.

To be clearer, it loads the date/time - battery status - location -
sound, bluetooth, airport all one at a time on a transparent background
and then the finder bar pops in. The dock loads at roughly the same
time and the desktop icons soon after. I can't trace this to anything
that is set to run on start up and I haven't got the airport or
bluetooth ports switched on so the system shouldn't be waiting for
network connections.

This first started happening after running software update and
installing a system update and Java 1.4.2. One of my friends had the
same thing happen to him and his problem cleared after running the next
system update. I've since run an additional update but there's been no
change in load time.

System Details:

15" powerbook
OS 10.3.7
G4 1.25 ghz
512 RAM
40GB free space

As far as your dock problem goes, how are you trying to delete the
icons in the dock? Is it the drag to desk top and 'poof' method?
Incidentally, the only method I know of.