[X-Newbies] Re: OS 10.3.7 on CD?

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Thu Jan 6 02:39:43 PST 2005

At 3:43 AM -0500 1/6/05, Charles Martin wrote:

>>From: "Chris Walker" <chris at mymac.demon.co.uk>
>>
>>I would repair permissions before you do the updating.
>>Some say it is not necessary, but it may help and is unlikely to do any harm.
>
>Whoever "some say" are, please tell them that I think they're idiots.
>
>OF COURSE repairing permissions is a good and necessary step.

It's good but is not *necessary*. Chris merely intimated an opinion
some have. And then advised that you do repair permissions. You're
saying that it is necessary. That is incorrect.

>Before doing any big system update (as someone applying a combo
>update would be doing) it's a REAL DAMN GOOD IDEA to repair
>permissions before AND AFTER the update.

That is correct. It is a really good idea. It  currently serves to
counteract the actions of some of the remaining brain-dead installers
out there. But I'm interested - have you seen actual repaired
permissions on a 10.3.7 update when you'd repaired permissions
immediately before the update? If so, which files/directories were
indicated?
--
Dopeler effect:
   The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.