[X-Newbies] Re: OS 10.3.7 on CD?

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 6 07:12:16 PST 2005

On 6/1/05 Vincent Cayenne wrote:
>At 3:43 AM -0500 1/6/05, Charles Martin wrote:

>>Whoever "some say" are, please tell them that I think they're idiots.
>>OF COURSE repairing permissions is a good and necessary step.
>It's good but is not *necessary*. Chris merely intimated an opinion
>some have. And then advised that you do repair permissions. You're
>saying that it is necessary. That is incorrect.

FWIW I use Onyx to repair permissions and run the cron scripts before
doing an update.  I'm not a Unix guru but I can see a logical reason why
this should be done.

If permissions get changed then presumably the installer will not
necessarily put in the correct updated files unless it is told to ignore
permissions and do it regardless.  Hence you could end up with a partial
update with potential problems down the line.

That was my reasoning anyway.

Cheers,

Chris