[X-Newbies] Carbon Copy Clone question?

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 17 01:14:07 PST 2005

On 1/17/05 10:05 AM, "Gen Hadlow Mac Impact Dbn" <ghadlow at iafrica.com>
wrote:

> I have a friend who is using a G5 with 2 x 160Gb hard drives. One drive is
> his normal drive and the second is used just for backing up the first drive.
> He used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the first drive exactly onto the second
> back up drive. Everything seems to be in order and there when he looks at
> his files except that the first drive shows that there is only 9.5 Gb of
> free space left and the second drive has 35.5Gb of free space!
> If one goes to the system profiler it shows that the main drive is formatted
> Journaled HFS+ and the second back up drive is only HFS+ (no Journaled)
>
> Is there any explanation for this?

First, Journaling takes up more disk space - You'd have to compare two empty
disks when formatted, but there is a substantial difference, especially when
the disk contains a lot of files, such as a startup volume.

Second, CCC does not copy _everything_. It only copies what is necessary.
Notably, it does not copy virtual memory swap files, which can be a couple
of GB. That's not the main difference, though; I'd recommend reformatting
the second drive to journaled, then compare the size after cloning.

Kirk

          Author of: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
       Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France