[X-Newbies] Re: Shared Library error

Ross Langmead rlangmead at whitley.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jan 17 20:53:17 PST 2005

On December 25 I wrote to this list unable to open Internet Explorer 5.2.3
on a G4 PowerBook (using OS 10.3.7), despite reinstalling IE and CarbonLib
1.6 and repairing permissions with Disk Utility.  I haven't had any replies
(unless I missed them), but I've found a solution, so I'll share it with
others.

In my case it seems to have been a corrupted Preferences file.  IE works now
I've trashed it.

It was Console (in Applications/Utilities) that put me onto it; I haven't
used it before. Console said:

/Users/Ross/Library/Preferences/Explorer
        could not be opened - permission denied

I confess I'd looked for a preference file to trash previously but couldn't
find it under Internet Explorer or Microsoft - I just missed it under
Explorer!

Shalom,

Ross