[X-Newbies] IDVD use with slow processor!

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Sat Jul 9 07:45:59 PDT 2005

On Saturday, 9 July 2005 13.59, Thomas J. Fobia wrote:
> Hello all! I just tried to make an IDVD from Imovie HD. Since the
> "preview" function in IDVD displayed very jerky playback of the movie,
> I didn't attempt to burn my first IDVD project.  Im assuming its because
> I only have a 400 MHz processor in my G-4.
>
> Has anyone used IDVD successfully with a slow processor?
> Do I need an expensive upgrade to get use of IDVD?
> Is there another way to burn my Imovie to DVD without using IDVD?
>
> Any suggestions would be welcomed.
>  Thanks.
> Tom

I am no expert, but I would say that:

- "preview" means software player. As you both read from an IDE disk and
convert high resolution images to screen I'd say it's a lot like playing a
DivX file, and I never could read a DivX well with anything less than 600MHz
(and certainly NOT on a Macintosh with that speed!)
- I would think that if you burn your DVD it should play well - at least on a
standalone player. At the current price of a raw DVD I'd try that.
- If you are seriously wanting to create DVDs or "make" films, you certainly
will have to upgrade your hardware. I currently use a 1.42 GHz Mac mini for
iMovie and it does well. DVD stuff however I do on my Linux PC.

Regards,

Thierry

Frank Zappa