[X-Newbies] Restricting Access to Data on External HD

John Kiss john.kiss at comcast.net
Sat Jul 9 08:49:48 PDT 2005

Tony,

My needs were very simple and my solution worked. I'm not the unix
guru but I know that to add a group you need to use the NetInfo
Manager application hiding in the Utilities folder in the
Applications folder.

I just opened it and noticed that there is already a group in the
'groups' column called 'admin'. In my case, the admin group is made
up of the root user and me - both us us have admin capabilities. I
would anticipate that in your admin group all your admins would be
listed. If so, and if you want all admins to access your external
drive, try to simply select the 'admin' group in the Group popup in
external disk Info window.

If the admin group does not suit your needs, it looks like you're
able to create your own group and then add the users. I've never done
this myself so I'm not sure how to go about doing this correctly.
More reading is definitely required. Take a look at this site:
http://www.apple.com/server/pdfs/UnderstandingUsingNetInfo.pdf

Good luck and happy reading,
Joh