[X-Newbies] Restricting Access to Data on External HD

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 9 12:10:20 PDT 2005

On 10/7/2005 1:49 AM, "John Kiss" <john.kiss at comcast.net> wrote:

> Tony,
>
> My needs were very simple and my solution worked. I'm not the unix
> guru but I know that to add a group you need to use the NetInfo
> Manager application hiding in the Utilities folder in the
> Applications folder.
>
> I just opened it and noticed that there is already a group in the
> 'groups' column called 'admin'. In my case, the admin group is made
> up of the root user and me - both us us have admin capabilities. I
> would anticipate that in your admin group all your admins would be
> listed. If so, and if you want all admins to access your external
> drive, try to simply select the 'admin' group in the Group popup in
> external disk Info window.
>
> If the admin group does not suit your needs, it looks like you're
> able to create your own group and then add the users. I've never done
> this myself so I'm not sure how to go about doing this correctly.
> More reading is definitely required. Take a look at this site:
> http://www.apple.com/server/pdfs/UnderstandingUsingNetInfo.pdf

Thank you John,
You seem to be hitting the nail on the head there. My problem had been in
thinking of a group to exclude, it hadn't occurred to me to look for a group
to include.

This has also sorted for me (indirectly) ways to better manage my kids
accounts, and given me far greater control over the computer generally. I
appreciate your time.

Again, thanks,
Tony