[X-Newbies] Re: OS 10.1.5 to Tiger(?)

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Jul 30 15:15:09 PDT 2005

Daniel Carter said:

>meanwhile, is there an external hard drive (160 to 250GB) that you
>could heartily recommend?

I recommend purchasing this hard drive case kit:

Argosy $38
http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=c:36232;p:10500933

and putting a raw (internal) Seagate hard drive in it.  Putting it
together takes about 10 minutes, even if you aren't mechanically
inclined, and requires only two screws.

I recommend the Argosy kit because it uses its aluminum case as a heat
sink, so no noisy fan is required.  The drive case can be mounted
vertically, so it doesn't take up much desk space, and the AC adapter
isn't at the end of the cord, it is inline, so it does not take up more
than one outlet on your surge strip.  Maybe most important, the Argosy
case uses the Prolific chipset, which doesn't seem to suffer from the
data loss and other problems that the Oxford chipset does.  It is also
very reasonably priced.

I recommend the Seagate drive because it is fast, quiet, reliable (most
Seagate drives have 5 year warranties, compared to the 1 year warranty
most drives have), and recently Seagate drives have been on sale.

Check this out:
Amazon.com is offering the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200GB IDE Hard Drive,
model no. ST3200822A-RK, for $125 with *free shipping*. There is also a
$50 mail-in rebate, for a net price of $75 ! This offer ends August 1.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001407XU/104-9752658-800716
5

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html