[X-Newbies] Virtual PC

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Jul 30 23:32:46 PDT 2005

Tony Johansen said:

>Back to Virus issue, I had been under the impression that just being on
>broadband made an OS vulnerable, that opening mail is not the only risk with
>Windows viruses. Not true? Or does the emulated environment form a sort of
>insulation from the internet, especially if the emulated OS is not being
>used at the time.
>
>I guess the question falls to, if the internet is disconnected while using
>the emulator, and Windows programs not used while internet connected, is
>that sufficient protection on its own?

Viruses don't show up on their own via the Internet, you have to do
something on the Internet to open the door for them.  However, hackers
can try to get into your computer via broadband without you doing much of
anything.  (A firewall will foil them.) Just visiting Web sites using a
browser in VPC opens you up to adware and spyware.

However, you have a perfectly good Mac for surfing the Internet.  If you
confine your VPC use to running programs, and you don't access the
Internet, and you don't share files with others, the risk of contracting
a virus is next to nil.  There are free anti-virus programs for Windows
that you can run, if you want to be extra careful.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html