[X-Newbies] Making room/Moving iPhoto files

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 8 11:48:24 PDT 2005

Question: Can I move my iPhoto library to a LaCie external hard drive and
still get full functionality from the iPhoto interface in the Dock? Would I
have problems due to having 2 external drives same size and essentially
clones of each other? ( they back each other up as not only do they
duplicate stuff on the Mac, they have off-Mac stored stuff too.

I am reorganising  my eMac to make the most of the machine and hopefully
minimize problems stemming from increasingly heavy graphics usage (including
animation) I successfully moved my iTunes library to the OS 9 partition on
the Mac following help here on the list. To allow for music growth I am
reluctant to put the photos there with the music, so I am looking at that
external drive. I am reluctant to experiment without advice as the photos
are not replaceable. I have read the following about moving iPhoto
libraries:

<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2004/02/000067/index.php>

But it makes no mention of external drives.

I have just a little under 4GB of photos.

This investigation of moving stuff is prompted by a failure to launch
ToonBoom Express without it crashing and my suspicion that I have too high a
portion of the emac hard drive used. Any one had problems running that
program on a smaller Mac?

Emac, 1 GHz, 1 GB SDRAM, 37 GB partition with OS 10.3.9 and 8 GB available,
20 GB partition with OS 9.2 and 9.6 GB available. 2 x LaCie 160 GB external
hard drives.

Thanks,
Tony.