[X-Newbies] Corrupted User Prefs

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Tue Jun 14 07:36:40 PDT 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 09:57, Michael Winter wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2005, at 1:27 AM, Tony Johansen wrote:
>
>> Regarding:
>> <http://securityawareness.blogspot.com/2005/05/comments-from-mac-
>> expert.html>
>>
>> ' For instance, a problem that was previously not uncommon when using
>> OS X
>> was having an application refuse to launch, or unexpectedly quitting,
>> due to
>> a corrupted user preferences file. This problem is all but eliminated
>> in
>> Tiger.'
>
> I'm still trying to figure out what the OS has to do with it.

Out of context, the phrasing is open to misinterpretation, but it's
clear if you read the whole paragraph. Randy didn't mean to say that
Tiger eliminates corruption in pref files, but rather that it attempts
to fix this issue automatically, by relaunching the app with the
default prefs. See details in

And, btw, there are a couple of inaccuracies in the original link,
which deals with security, not file corruption. User password is not
necessary to install spyware if one has physical access -- a bootable
device, e.g., CD or FW drive, can be used. In Tiger, it is
theoretically possible to install spyware w/o physical access with a
widget. It is even conceivable to do so without widgets, piggy-backing
on sudo. But, it should be stressed that these are conceivable, rather
than actual, threats.

<0x0192>