[X-Newbies] Corrupted User Prefs

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Tue Jun 14 08:00:51 PDT 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 9:36 AM, Alex wrote:

>> I'm still trying to figure out what the OS has to do with it.
>>

> Out of context, the phrasing is open to misinterpretation, but it's
> clear if you read the whole paragraph. Randy didn't mean to say
> that Tiger eliminates corruption in pref files, but rather that it
> attempts to fix this issue automatically, by relaunching the app
> with the default prefs. See details in
>
> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301084>

Reading that makes me feel a lot better. Reading the first linked
article had me a little worried. It sounded like it was making it too
easy for people to replace their preferences with a new default set,
even though that may not be the problem. Nice to see it saves the old
preferences with the ability to revert to them. Apple definitely put
some thought into it.

Sure beats my old method of dragging the suspect preference file to
the trash (don't empty) then running the app again to see if that
solved the problem. If not, I would revert to my "hidden" preferences.

And yes, the first part of my response was due to a "trigger button"
being hit -people tending to blame the OS for issues the app
developers should be covering. IMO if an app crashes or fails to
launch because of a corrupted preference file, the problem is the
error checking/handling in the app, not the OS.

Tthere I go again...

-Mike