[X-Newbies] Corrupted User Prefs

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Jun 14 16:17:11 PDT 2005

Tony Johansen said:

>Thanks for the tip. In the new user account the app works perfectly, so the
>problem is with the computer and my main user account. I've already run
>repair permissions in disc utility as per another suggestion. I now can
>accept simply using the program in the other account (hmm...attractive, less
>clutter and can easily move graphic images via the LaCie external HD...on
>the other hand, I like a ship that works well, I'd like to track down the
>problem in my main account). Any suggestions?

I would first try:

Preferential Treatment (free)
http://homepage.mac.com/jonn8/as/html/pt.html

Since PT is easy to use and free, it is reasonable to try.  But PT can't
identify all corrupted preferences files.  If PT doesn't help, you should
try manually uninstalling the user preferences file for the offending
application.  You can find the preferences file in:

Users/[your user name]/Library/Preferences

otherwise known as:

~/Library/Preferences

Look for a ".plist" file with the name of the application or its
developer in the name.  Drag it to the desktop and see if the problem is
now gone.  A new, fresh and uncorrupted, preferences file will
automatically be generated.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html