[X-Newbies] Anti-Virus

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 14 16:30:49 PDT 2005

On 15/6/2005 9:05 AM, "Randy B.Singer" <randy at macattorney.com> wrote:

> Have a look at:
> <http://securityawareness.blogspot.com/2005/05/comments-from-mac-
> expert.html>
>
> DO NOT take the following to mean that there is malware out there that
> you have to be very concerned about, or that you need to have an
> anti-virus software program.  You probably don't.  However, some folks,
> especially those who use their Mac in a business environment, aren't
> willing to leave their data open to even the smallest potential threat.
> So this information may be of interest to those folks in deciding whether
> or not they need anti-virus software, and choosing which program to get.
>
> There are zero (as in "none") verified viruses in the wild that can
> infect OS X proper.

>From humble beginnings this thread is becoming very interesting for those of
us less versed in the larger world of computing.

You make me thank the computer Gods for leading me to listen to St Steve
Jobs and invest in the holy (and beautiful) machine Mac. What a relief!

I, now completely Anti-Virus free, am thinking that if I have an A-V
program, that I will be better off in the event of a newly released virus
due to the (hopefully) rapid release of a security patch by the service I
subscribe to. Is there any real logic in that thinking?

Also during my year of Norton A-V it quarantined about a dozen suspicious
files. Which I deleted. Are you suggesting that this apparently successful
work by the program was little more than window dressing? That those files
would have done no harm anyway because they were likely Windows based items?

Tony.