[X-Newbies] Anti-Virus

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Tue Jun 14 19:17:53 PDT 2005

At 9:30 AM +1000 6/15/05, Tony Johansen wrote:
>I, now completely Anti-Virus free, am thinking that if I have an A-V
>program, that I will be better off in the event of a newly released virus
>due to the (hopefully) rapid release of a security patch by the service I
>subscribe to. Is there any real logic in that thinking?

None whatsoever :-)

In the lengthy absence of a virus for OS X, it would perhaps be more
logical to think that whomsoever does create one will take into
account the current means of "detection". And the anti-virus
companies certainly aren't getting any practice working on
non-existent threats in the wild, are they? Similarly to the concerns
about the biological equivalents, we may have more to fear from what
may "escape" from the labs of their "researchers".

>Also during my year of Norton A-V it quarantined about a dozen suspicious
>files. Which I deleted. Are you suggesting that this apparently successful
>work by the program was little more than window dressing?

Indubitably. The only other interpretation would be that it
quarantined actual threats. Which don't exist so...

I'd go so far as to say that I've seen far more harmful effect from
Symantec product than would have been occasioned by the non-existent
threats from which they purport to defend. I'd describe the presence
of NAV, SAV et al on Mac OS X machines as an excellent example of
successful use of social engineering to introduce useless,
often-debilitating elements to the platform. I've also never seen a
single instance of one of those products isolating something which
would have otherwise brought harm to the Mac. I have seen email and
filesystems and productivity decimated by the effects of these
"protectors" though.

Just once I'd like to see a Mac AV purveyor say it straight: "our
product is not yet necessary, useful or effective as an antivirus
device on your platform of choice. So we'll instead sell a rapid
alert service that'll undertake to be quick to let you know whenever
you do need something that we sell..." I might well subscribe just
out of appreciation for their integrity.

>  That those files
>would have done no harm anyway because they were likely Windows based items?

Yes. Or harmless.
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]