[X-Newbies] IP addresses

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Wed Jun 15 05:12:42 PDT 2005

At 9:15 AM +0100 6/15/05, Chris Walker wrote:
>Is it possible to assign a machine a fixed IP address (eg 10.0.0.6) and
>connect to a network which issues addresses via DHCP?  Would this cause
>any problems?

Check the DHCP server to determine the address pool range that it
uses to assign addresses dynamically. As long as the manual address
you use is outside of that range and does not conflict with any other
manually assigned IP address, you should be OK**. You should, in
particular check the address of dedicated servers, network printers
and the like - they are very likely to be static addresses.

I'm taking the position that this is a home or unsophisticated
network, not one set up and maintained by paid admins otherwise you'd
be well advised to consult with your network administrator.
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]