[X-Newbies] IP addresses

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 05:22:34 PDT 2005

On 15/6/05 Vincent Cayenne wrote:

>Check the DHCP server to determine the address pool range that it
>uses to assign addresses dynamically. As long as the manual address
>you use is outside of that range .........
>
>I'm taking the position that this is a home or unsophisticated
>network, not one set up and maintained by paid admins otherwise you'd
>be well advised to consult with your network administrator.
Thanks to you and Alex for the replies.  Yes it is a home type network
and uses the 10.0.0.x range.  I was thinking of giving myself 10.0.0.88
which is within the range but well outside the ones likely to be used.
As an alternative I suppose I could give myself a fixed one in the
192.168.x.x range which I think should work.

Chris