[X-Newbies] IP addresses

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 09:03:40 PDT 2005

On 15/6/05 Alex wrote:

>Vincent's explanation is to the point. I'd add only that your router
>should have a static DHCP function, which is what I'd use.
This is what I do on my own network.  What I was really getting at was
using a fixed one, albeit one within the permitted range, on a network
rigged to use DHCP.

The potential trouble arises when I connect to someone else's network,
which does use DHCP.   I can set up another location on my machine and
that's no problem, but I would like to use a fixed IP if I could and
wondered if it would cause trouble.

One other point after Vincent's excellent explanation.  Most domestic
routers come with the 192.168.x.x range, but can they be setup to use one
of the others - say 10.0.x.x?  I realise this is probably getting beyond
a newbie's comprehension...

Chris