[X-Newbies] IP addresses

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Wed Jun 15 09:28:10 PDT 2005

On Jun 15, 2005, at 12:03, Chris Walker wrote:

> What I was really getting at was
> using a fixed one, albeit one within the permitted range, on a network
> rigged to use DHCP. [...] I would like to use a fixed IP if I could and
> wondered if it would cause trouble.

Maybe you should describe exactly what you want to do, because I may
have misunderstood you.

If you want to move (say, with a Powerbook) from one DHCP-served LAN to
another and use a fixed IP, my short answer is, don't.

I don't quite understand why you need a fixed IP. If, for instance,
each of those LANs is connected to the Internet by a router, then they
use NAT, so your fixed IP will not be visible from the WAN anyway.

IMHO, the best solution is to use whatever each LAN's sysadmin says --
most likely, DHCP. If you must needs have a fixed IP, then arrange it
separately with each LAN's sysadmin.

<0x0192>