[X-Newbies] Where can I get pre-compiled Darwin CL programs?

Philip Robar philip.robar at myrealbox.com
Fri Mar 25 13:59:46 PST 2005

On Mar 25, 2005, at 6:59 AM, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> And where can I find out more about the ones I already have as part of
> Panther? For instance - if I wanted to try out text editing, or
> Usenet,
> or email with a CL program using Terminal - where do I begin?

There are many UNIX tutorial type books available. Among the better
ones is:

Practical Guide to the UNIX System, A, 3/E
ISBN: 0-8053-7565-1
Publisher: Addison-Wesley
Copyright: 1995
Format: Paper; 800 pp
Published: 08/09/1994

http://www.aw-bc.com/catalog/academic/product/0,,0805375651,00%2ben-
USS_01DBC.html

Amazon has some very inexpensive used copies.

Also said to be good is:

Learning Unix for Mac OS X Panther
By Dave Taylor, Brian Jepson
1st Edition December 2003
ISBN: 0-596-00617-9
184 pages

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lunixpanther/

As to pre-compiled I don't know, but for things not already supplied
with Mac OS X this is the best place to start:

Darwin ports: http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/

And course there are many, many UNIX tutorial available via the web.

Phil