[X-Newbies] Where can I get pre-compiled Darwin CL programs?

Jamie Kahn Genet jamiekg at wizardling.geek.nz
Sat Mar 26 06:59:27 PST 2005

Philip Robar <philip.robar at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2005, at 6:59 AM, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
>
> > And where can I find out more about the ones I already have as part of
> > Panther? For instance - if I wanted to try out text editing, or
> > Usenet,
> > or email with a CL program using Terminal - where do I begin?
>
> There are many UNIX tutorial type books available. Among the better
> ones is:
>
> Practical Guide to the UNIX System, A, 3/E
> ISBN: 0-8053-7565-1
> Publisher: Addison-Wesley
> Copyright: 1995
> Format: Paper; 800 pp
> Published: 08/09/1994
>
> http://www.aw-bc.com/catalog/academic/product/0,,0805375651,00%2ben-
> USS_01DBC.html
>
> Amazon has some very inexpensive used copies.

I'll take a look - cheers.

> Also said to be good is:
>
> Learning Unix for Mac OS X Panther
> By Dave Taylor, Brian Jepson
> 1st Edition December 2003
> ISBN: 0-596-00617-9
> 184 pages
>
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lunixpanther/

Yup, already bought this one - nice book.

> As to pre-compiled I don't know, but for things not already supplied
> with Mac OS X this is the best place to start:
>
> Darwin ports: http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/
>

> And course there are many, many UNIX tutorial available via the web.
>

> Phil

Thank you Phil. Ideally I'm after the Darwin equivalent of
MacOrchard.com (superb listing and review site for Mac internet
shareware if you're not familiar). I've found Lynx and Setiathome CL
version on my own, but surely there must be far more out there.

Regards,
 Jamie Kahn Genet