[X-Newbies] Re: Tiger's Smart Folders

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed May 18 21:33:15 PDT 2005

> From: Carter Tomassi <carter at messyoptics.com>
> I looked into Automator and Smart Folders last night and pretty much
> gave up. Thanks for the explanation though, Charles. Sounds like I
> would need to use AppleScript to automatically create a Smart Folder
> of the previous day's files every morning when the cpu awakes. Either
> that or manually create Smart Folders for each day of the previous
> week.

I'm probably just not understanding your needs, but it seems to me
that a simple Smart folder ("show me every file of a given type added
to this machine yesterday") would do the trick. It updates itself
each time it's opened.

If you needed it to be more general ("show me every file of a given
type added to this machine in the last week") or create one for each
day of the week, where's the problem? That's the work of a few
seconds, and has nowt to do with Applescript at all.

I think the biggest problem here is that you're not actually TRYING
it. I mean, if you mess up, who cares? It doesn't affect anything, or
move anything. Drag the "mistake" to the trash and try again.

_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most
people use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are
inferior to McDonald's.