[X-Newbies] Top posing in mail?

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Thu May 19 19:26:32 PDT 2005

At 8:36 AM +0700 5/20/05, Brian Durant wrote:
>In my humble opinion, if top posting is not following net etiquette,
>net etiquette should be changed.

This is possibly the most ill-informed post that I have seen on this
topic in at least two decades of observing (and sometimes
participating in) the top/bottom/interspersed-posting arguments.

>Why? Because many spell checking programs slavishly check spelling
>from the top of any document,
>including e-mails. I don't want to have to correct other people's
>inarticulate gibberish

You should consider getting a better email client - one that will not
apply its spell check to quoted material. Eudora Pro is one such.

>  before I can make sure that I am putting my point across in an
>intelligible manner.

You're safe. You aren't.

>  That is also a likely reason why this is standard in the business world.

It isn't.

>  Don't get me started on those people that insist on inserting their
>comments in between
>snippets of replied to text :-)

Please don't get started on them. It might prove embarrassing.
--
"In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" - Bob Marley